Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I'd Tap That

This spinal tap was silly.

It was waaaaaay different than the last two I got. I figure that since I am out of same day surgery and now able to sit up and type comfortably I will go ahead and tell you about it in more detail.

So this is my back. There are a few things you should notice about my back...

1. I have a cool tattoo.
2. I sneaked and put on my undies and sweatshirt which meant I had to sit up. I couldn't get caught or they would make me start my 2 hours all over again (joke).
3. There is a lot of green stuff on it.
4. There is a weird target like tramp stamp.
5. There is a flapping band-aid.

All of these things will be explained in time.

Let's start with number three (I think numbers 1 and 2 are self explanatory). That green stuff is left over from the topical antiseptic they used to make sure my back was sterile and hopefully prevent an infection at the puncture site. The lines are because I have a big butt so it kind of pooled... : (

For this LP (lumbar puncture - same thing as a spinal tap just a fancier name) I traveled to the Interventional Radiology department where they used a fluoroscopy machine to determine where to place the needle. Interventional Radiology is simply the place where they use the machines to help diagnose and perform certain procedures. They do angioplasty in this department because they can make it minimally invasive. A fluoroscopy machine is awesome. It takes basically a real time x-ray and projects it on the television so the doctor can see where he is sticking the needle. That is why I have the target on my back. That is so the doctor knew where to stick his needle.

I wanted to say "Oh yeah? Well, Dr. Cowboy knew where to stick it just by knocking on my back a couple of times." But I figured I shouldn't taunt the man with the large needle.

What does that leave us with? Ah yes, the floppy band-aid. Hubs just didn't remove that before taking the picture.

Another thing I wanted to note is why I had to lay flat for two hours. Two long hours. And not even prime time television hours. There are two main side effects post tap, headache and nausea. It is believed that these can be prevented by laying down for two hours, but studies cannot confirm or deny this.

How do I feel post tap? Eggcellent! I feel like my shoulders and neck are finally relaxed. I told the Hubs that although I have never gotten a massage I imagine this is what people feel like after one. It is delicious. I want to melt into the couch and sleep for days.

Happy Rare Disease Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment