Friday, February 10, 2012

Pain Management?

Last time I saw Dr. Awesome we talked about pain management.

Actually, we talked about the lack of pain management.

I have been told by a doctor that during his ER rotation he learned to tell the difference between a drug seeker and a person with actual IIH. IIH is sometimes used by pill seekers because it is an 'invisible" disorder. An actual sufferer will not ask for drugs because they know that they will do nothing. An actual sufferer will ask for the doctor to shove a needle in their back.

When I first got my neck ache I thought I had pulled a muscle. Around this time my husband had some dental work done. He was prescribed vicodin and I may have borrowed one or more. It did nothing. In fact it made it worse because all I wanted to do was lay on the couch and as we all know laying down increases pressure.

When trying to treat the headache pain doctors will sometimes prescribe medicines that are prescribed for chronic headaches. Apparently on occasion pain meds are given and they help with intensity, but bottom line, you HAVE to treat the pressure to treat the headache.

The other day in art the kids were told to draw their dream bedroom (the Stinker only wanted carrots and cucumbers in her's). I don't know if that was the inspiration or what, but I have been thinking a lot about my dream treatment. Obviously what I want most is a cure for IIH, but since they don't even know what causes it yet I figure I should set my sights a little lower. So, my ideal treatment plan...

I would like a noninvasive meter that can instantly check my ICP. If it is high I would like to take a pill or take a shot that lowers my pressure within half an hour. I would even take something that is installed through surgery and then checked in a non invasive manner. I am not picky. I would check my pressure a few times a day and correct as needed. I would be glorious.

2 comments:

  1. how about a spine spigot? just turn it on a little when there's some pressure, fill a shot glass, and if you're feeling adventurous you can drink it when you're done!


    also, try marijuana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have often thought about a spine spigot. I think of it longingly. Think I could make syrup from my CSF and sell it? Turn this problem into a money making solution!

      I will not say in a public forum that I have tried pot in the past. I will say that I have this feeling that if I did I might get ultra paranoid and find the whole experience unpleasant. Maybe. If I tried it.

      Delete