Monday, February 6, 2012

It's because you're fat

Comic by Joel Pett
There is a lot of noise made about weight and IH. Typically weight is only considered a factor in idiopathic IH (the kind I have) which is said to mainly affect "obese women of childbearing age" (PS, this is now how I describe myself to people). BUT as 2/3 of the population are overweight and not many have IIH there are clearly other causes at play here.

Still, weight loss has been known to decrease papilledema as well as cause remission. So if you have IIH it might be a good idea to lose a pound or two or 40. You know, whatever you need to lose. On the flip side, sometimes people lose weight and see no change in their IIH. The thought of that kind of reminds me of that comic though. I mean, even if it doesn't help the IIH you should look better and be healthier so it isn't all for naught.

I am not obese, but I could stand to lose a pound or 20. Dr. Cowboy said that I really didn't have to worry about the weight but Dr. Awesome (after looking up my BMI and hemming and hawing which is just one of the reasons we call him Dr. Awesome) said that I probably should try. I just started seriously trying this week. I couldn't stand the thought of feeling like complete crap because of IIH in addition to feeling like complete crap because I am cutting calories. The time for hesitation is through though. I need to jump in with both feet.

I am hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment