Thursday, March 1, 2012

The good, the bad, and the ugly

Last night was amazing.

You often hear people who have been diagnosed with life altering illnesses talk about how they found out who their "real" friends were. This is never a good thing. If you are one of those "real" friends you should feel very bad about yourself.

So I am always at a loss to describe my experience. I found out who my real friends were and I looked around, took attendance, and everyone was still present and accounted for. Even though I have a condition that sometimes makes me a shitty friend. Even though I occasionally have to back out of things or I fail to deliver as promised. Even though I am crabbier than I used to be these people have stuck by me and stepped up to always provide an ear, a hug, and a glass of wine when needed.

Cue last night.

I was told, we're going to have a dinner for Rare Disease Day. This sounded like great fun to me. Can I bring anything? Nope, just yourself! Wills, Mrs. Rocketship, Cats, and Spicy Ramen were all in attendance (with the Hubs of course) and I never believed that a day about illness could be filled with so much laughter and love. Everyone pitched in to make it one of the most memorable nights of my life.

And then came the gift. Who gets a gift on Rare Disease Day?

My shirt! <3
Me, after my LP.
Me, that's who. We were done with dinner eating undercooked monkey bread (which is seriously how I like it, I will tell you about my old school camping experiences at a later time Wills) and Cats brings in this box. I open it, and what is it but a t-shirt with the words "You Down with PTC" on the front, my blog address, and then the words "working to relieve the pressure." The best part? It matches my blog colors. I started to cry. I was just so overwhelmed with how lucky I am.

The best part about the whole night and this morning was I felt great. I had energy, my head felt fine, and I felt like I was back to my normal self. The magic of a spinal tap. I think someone might have body snatched me because I wasn't worried about when the other shoe would drop, which means when it did drop the suddenness was a little off putting.

I was at lunch, munching on my car Cheeze-Its (don't ask) when I got a sharp pain in my forehead. Sinus! I thought hopefully, but it didn't go away. It built into the worst headache of all time. And I just wanted to cry.

24 hours. I got 24 hours of relief. How is that fair?

But life isn't fair, and so I need to change my attitude. Instead of being annoyed by the headache I need to be thankful for the time I did have feeling amazing. I need to be thankful it fell on Rare Disease Day so I could feel normal again for this one night. I need to be happy for what I had. I also need to remember how lucky I am to have the friends and family that I do and to stop focusing on the fact that my head feels like someone is squeezing it and instead focus on how damn lucky I am. I will work on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment