Thursday, December 29, 2011

Lemme See Your Lens Sack

While this is how I felt yesterday everyone really seemed to like the post. So I am thinking I will try and do more sciency posts more often. I think I will still feel like the dog pictured to the left though.






One super cool thing I learned about yesterday was a fundus camera. This is the camera they used to take a picture of my optic disc. The terminology here has always confused me because some doctors were saying that it is my optic nerve that is swollen and some were saying it is my optic disc. What is the difference? Well, according to good old Wikipedia the optic disc is just the beginning of the optic nerve and actually the cause of the blind spot we all have. Since mine is enlarged my blind spot is larger.

 This is like the fundus photos I posted yesterday only a diagram explaining the different parts. I don't remember seeing a Fovea or Macula on those or in the picture of own eye. Probably because they were focusing on the disc.

One thing that wasn't shown in the picture I posted that I had in my own eye was some hemorrhaging from the excessive swelling.
This is cool because it gives you an idea of how awesome the fundus camera really is. If you look at the waaaaaaaay back of the eye you see where the optic disc is. They were able to take a picture of that with that camera without even dilating my pupils. Pretty amazing. I think of my eye as a solid thing, but it must not be if they can see through it like that with the microscope.

Is it just me or does lens sack sound kind of dirty to anyone else?




I got these diagrams from this site. They also have a great glossary with all sorts of terms so you can learn about the parts of the eyes and whatnot.

As far as how I feel, kinda crappy today which is annoying because it is a bright sunny day. I have a big head and am incredibly tired. I woke up around 7:30 and then managed a two hour nap and am thinking about taking another one shortly. I need to get off my lazy butt and clean though because winter break is almost over and I have done no cleaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment